My Top Tips for Booking Transport
- Plan and book in advance: For the best prices and availability, it's generally recommended to book your transportation well in advance, especially for popular routes and peak travel seasons.
- Be flexible with your travel dates: If you have some flexibility in your travel dates, try searching for different dates to find the most affordable options. Avoiding peak travel times and weekends can often result in better prices.
- Compare prices and options: Use online platforms and travel search engines to compare prices and options for trains, buses, flights, and campervan hire. Consider different providers, routes, and travel times to find the most suitable and cost-effective option for your needs.
- Sign up for alerts and newsletters: Subscribe to newsletters or set up fare alerts with transportation providers and travel websites. This way, you'll be notified of any special deals, promotions, or discounts that may be available for your desired routes.
- Check for package deals: Sometimes, booking transportation and accommodation together as a package can save you money. Explore package deals that combine your transportation needs with hotel stays or campervan rental for potential savings.
- Consider alternative airports or stations: If you're flexible with your departure or arrival points, consider nearby airports or train/bus stations. Sometimes, flying to or from a different airport or taking a train or bus from a nearby city can offer better rates.
- Read and understand the terms and conditions: Before booking, carefully review the terms and conditions of your chosen transportation provider. Pay attention to cancellation policies, baggage allowances, and any additional fees to avoid any surprises later on.
- Use reliable and secure booking platforms: Stick to reputable and secure booking platforms or directly book through the official websites of transportation providers. This ensures a safe and reliable booking process.
- Consider travel insurance: Depending on the nature and duration of your trip, it's advisable to consider purchasing travel insurance. Travel insurance can provide coverage for unexpected events, cancellations, or emergencies.
- Double-check your booking details: After making your reservation, double-check your booking details, including travel dates, times, and passenger information. Any errors or discrepancies should be corrected promptly to avoid any issues during your journey.
Over the years I have stayed in a variety of places, which I either found by word of mouth, on Hostelworld, Booking.com, Air BnB or even Couchsurfing in my early travel days.
Below I have linked Hostelworld and Booking.com, which are great ways to find accommodation for all budgets.
Go ahead, see what you can find.
My Top Tips for Booking Accommodation
- Plan and book in advance: Accommodation prices tend to increase as the travel date approaches, so it's best to book your accommodation as early as possible to secure the best rates and availability.
- Determine your needs and preferences: Consider the type of accommodation that suits your needs and preferences, such as hotels, hostels, vacation rentals, or bed and breakfasts. Think about factors like location, amenities, and budget.
- Use reliable booking platforms: Use reputable and trustworthy booking platforms or websites to search for accommodation options. Popular platforms like Booking.com, Hostelworld and Airbnb often provide a wide range of choices and user reviews to help you make an informed decision.
- Read reviews: Before finalizing your booking, take the time to read reviews from previous guests. This can give you valuable insights into the quality, cleanliness, and service provided by the accommodation.
- Compare prices: Don't settle for the first option you find. Compare prices for similar accommodations in the desired location to ensure you're getting the best value for your money. Consider factors like location, amenities, and included services.
- Check cancellation policies: Review the accommodation's cancellation policies before making a reservation. Ensure you understand the terms and conditions, including any potential fees or restrictions in case you need to modify or cancel your booking.
- Contact the accommodation directly: If you have specific questions or special requests, consider reaching out to the accommodation directly. This can help you clarify any concerns and ensure your needs are accommodated.
- Look for deals and discounts: Keep an eye out for deals, promotions, or discounts that may be available for your desired accommodation. Many booking platforms offer special rates or packages, especially during off-peak seasons.
- Consider location and transportation: Take into account the location of the accommodation in relation to your planned activities and transportation options. A centrally located accommodation can save you time and money on transportation.
- Read and understand the terms and conditions: Before confirming your reservation, carefully read and understand the terms and conditions of the accommodation. Pay attention to check-in/check-out times, additional fees, and any specific policies they may have.
Planning Your Itinerary
One of the best ways to plan your itinerary is to have a vague outline and then be flexible and spontaneous - or maybe that just works for me?
Alternatively there are plenty of online sources, including guide books and blogs to research places to go.
Check out my blogs below for travel inspiration and if you are planning a road trip to Ireland, be sure to check out my Irish Road Trip Guide Book linked below.